The Complete 2022 Camino Festivals Calendar
The Camino de Santiago isn’t just a pilgrimage, it’s a complete experience. Whether you’re after food, music, sightseeing or religious festivals, there’s an abundance of events taking place along the various Camino de Santiago routes throughout the year and our Camino Festivals Calendar is just what you need!
If you don’t want to miss any wonderful experiences, it’s a good idea to have a rough plan (or in some cases, a deeply thorough plan) of what you want to see and do. We’ll be keeping our Camino Festivals Calendar up-to-date as soon as new information is released, so you’ll have no excuse not to celebrate like a local and experience everything the Camino de Santiago has to offer!
*2022 is a Holy Year so keep an eye out for some special events, particularly in Santiago’s cathedral!
Camino Festivals Calendar For February
- O Entroido – Carnival of Verin, Ourense. February 24th-March 1st 2022. The festivities begin on Corredoiro Sunday and you can expect fireworks, street musicians, a masked ball, flour fights, parades and much more. Via de la Plata.
- Cheese Festival in Arzúa, celebrating the town’s cheese-making tradition. March 4th-6th 2022. Music, cheese and a lot of fun – what more could you want at this Festa do Queixo. Camino Frances.
Camino Festivals Calendar For March
- Arribada festival in Baiona commemorates the discovery of the Americas and the fact that Baiona was the first town in Europe to receive the news. This year’s festival will take place from March 4th-6th 2022. Portuguese Coastal Way.
- Reconquista festival in Vigo marks the victory over Napoleon’s army on March 28th. You’ll come across some historic recreations, music and dance celebrations during the festival. March 26th-27th 2022. Portuguese Coastal Way.
Camino Festivals Calendar For April
- The Oyster Festival in Arcade is the best place to taste the village’s most delicious produce. The festival takes place on the first weekend of April. Camino Portugues.
- Easter celebrations – Events throughout Holy Week on multiple routes, including Ferrol on the Camino Ingles, Rome, Santiago, Seville, Lugo and more. Easter Sunday, April 17th, 2022.
- Festa do Cocido in Lalin is the ultimate homage to pork and a classic Galician dish. This year’s festival takes place on April 24th and there’s set to be a number of parties, street events and of course, pork! Via de la Plata.
- Freedom Day – Día da Liberdade across Portugal. April 25th, 2022. You can expect to experience parades, fireworks and some closures due to the national holiday.
Camino Festivals Calendar For May
- Festa do Maio – May celebrations in Villafranca del Bierzom Pontevedra nd more.. 1st May. Camino Frances.
- Galician Literature Day. A holiday celebrating across Galicia a different Galician language writer each year. May 17th, 2022.
- Festas da Ascensión in Santiago de Compostela. Over two weeks, there’s a myriad of events, performances, parades on offer during the festival. May 26th-29th 2022.
- Os Maios – May celebrations in Ourense. Dates have yet to be confirmed for this year’s festival.
Camino Festivals Calendar For June
- Arde Lucus in Lugo, a colourful historic festival transporting attendees back to the 3rd century. June 9th-12th 2022. Camino Primitivo.
- Fiestas de San Bernabé in Logroño. June 11th 2022. Camino Frances.
- Festas de Lisboa or Santo Antonio is an annual street party celebrating St. Anthony, the patron saint of Lisbon, marriages and lost things. June 12th-13th 2022. Camino Portugues.
- Sao Joao Festival in Porto. This midsummer festival sees locals and visitors alike take to the streets of Porto to eat sardines, dance and welcome the summer. June 23rd 2022. Camino Portugues.
- Saint John and Midsummer celebrations take place in many other seaside towns such as San Sebastian, A Coruña, Fisterra and also in Santiago de Compostela.
Camino Festivals Calendar For July
- Lobster festival in A Guarda. Early July. Portuguese Coastal Way.
- San Fermin – The famous running of the bulls in Pamplona. This world-famous festival returns in 2022 from July 6th-14th. Camino Frances.
- Bilbao Music Festival. Calling all music lovers, this year’s festival takes place from July 7th-9th. Camino del Norte.
- San Sebastian Jazz Festival. Feel the joy of jazz this July. Tickets for this festival are on sale now. July 21st-25th 2022. Camino del Norte.
- St James Day, 25th July, Festas do Apostolo in Santiago de Compostela. The city’s biggest festival takes place the last two weeks in July. Read more about the festival. Santiago de Compostela.
- Festa dos Tabuleiros in Tomar. This festival takes place every four years. The next one will be in July 2023. Camino Portugues.
Camino Festivals Calendar For August
- Traditional dance festival – Festival Folclórico Internacional in Pontedeume. 1st-2nd August. Camino Ingles – English Way.
- San Fiz Festival – Patron saint festivities in Nigran. 1st August. Portuguese Coastal Way.
- Estella Festival in Estella – Lizarra. First 10 days in August. Camino Frances – French Way.
- Semana Grande de Gijón (Gijón Big Week festival). Second week in August. Camino del Norte – Northern Way.
- Semana Grande de Bilbao (Bilbao Big Week festival). Third week in August. Camino del Norte.
- Padrón Pepper gastronomic festival in Padrón, home of the famous green peppers. Camino Portugues – Portuguese Way.
- San Roque festivals (15th August) take place in many towns across Galicia, including Melide on the Camino Frances – French Way.
- Fin do Camiño (end of the Camino) folk festival in Fisterra. Third weekend in August. Finisterre Way.
- Festas da Peregrina in Pontevedra. Second week in August. Camino Portugues – Portuguese Way.
- Fiesta del Veraneante in Sahagún. 15th August. Camino Frances – French Way.
- Romaria da Nossa Senhora da Agonia in Viana do Castelo. End of August (20th-23rd). Portuguese Coastal Way.
- Fiestas de San Zoilo in Carrión de los Condes. 22nd August. Camino Frances – French Way.
- Santa Marta Festival in Astorga. Week of 25th August. Camino Frances – French Way.
- Batalla de las Flores – Battle of the Flowers in Laredo. 30th-31st August. Camino del Norte – Northern Way.
- Festas de Maria Pita – Festivities in honour of A Coruña’s most famous heroine take place in August – Celtic Camino / Camino Ingles.
Camino Festivals Calendar For September
- Santa Maria de la Vega festival in Salamanca. Early September. Via de la Plata.
- Marine festival in honour of the people of the sea in Fisterra. 8th-10th September. Finisterre Way.
- Muxía, also on the Finisterre Way, hosts its biggest festival dedicated to Nosa Señora da Barca in mid-September.
- Feira Franca period-inspired festival in Pontevedra. The first weekend in September. Camino Portugues – Portuguese Way.
- La Rioja wine harvest festival – Fiesta de la Vendimia Riojana in Logroño. Late September. Read more about the festival. Camino Frances – French Way.
- Romaria Virxe do Cebreiro dedicated to the patron saint of O Cebreiro. Early September. Camino Frances – French Way.
- Roi de l’Oiseau medieval festival in Le Puy en Velay. End of September. Le Puy Way.
- Fiestas de la Encina in Ponferrada. Camino Frances – French Way.
Camino Festivals Calendar For October
- San Froilán in Lugo. From 4th October for a week. Camino Primitivo – Original Way. León, on the French Way, also celebrates San Froilán.
- Fete de St Foy in Conques, on the Le Puy Camino, in France. Around 10th and 11th October.
- San Lucas horse and country fair in Mondoñedo with origins dating back to the 12th century. Mid-October. Camino del Norte – Northern Way.
- Apple Fest takes place in Redondela, on the Portuguese Way, in early October.
Camino Festivals Calendar For November
- O Magosto, the sweet chestnut festival, in Ourense. 11th November, Saint Martin’s Day. Also celebrated across Galicia. Read more about O Magosto. Via de la Plata.
- Santiago é Tapas, tapas restaurant competition across Santiago de Compostela.
We hope you find our Camino Festivals Calendar useful when planning your Camino experience. For more information about the Camino de Santiago routes or to book your trip, please don’t hesitate to contact us using the form below: