Pisa International Airport 35km: Firstly you need to reach Pisa central train station (Station Ferroviara Pisa Centrale). The airport is only located 1km from Pisa central train station and PisaMover Bus Service provides the transfer. To get to Lucca from Pisa central train station you can take a regional trains (approx. 30 minutes travel time). You can check the timetable at www.trenitalia.com.
NOTE: Depending on the connection schedules, sometimes it’s better to make the connection at Viareggio instead of at Pisa Centrale. The Trenitalia website will indicate when this is the case. The unreserved regionale train from Viareggio to Lucca also costs 3 Euros and takes just under 30 minutes travel time.
Florence International Airport 70km: To reach Santa Maria Novella train station (S.M.N) from the airport the easiest way is to take the city line. There is a local bus “Volainbus” that is run by the SITA bus company next to the Santa Maria Novella train station. It goes to and from the station every half hour from 5:30am to 11pm (25 minutes approx travel time from airport arrivals to the station). Find the general information of departure points and timetable at www.fsbusitalia.it
When you are in S.M.N train station you can choose:
– Train Option: With the Italian regional line www.trenitalia.com, Florence to Lucca takes roughly 1.30 hours and costs around €7.
– Bus Option: From Florence to Lucca, you also have the option to take the intercity bus (Monday to Saturday only), which departs hourly from the intersection of Via Nazionale and Via Fiume, 250 meters from the S.M.N. train station. The bus takes 80 minutes and costs about the same as the regionale train, but has reclining seats. Be aware departure location may change in the future.
Bologna Airport 151km: Shuttle bus from Bologna Airport to Bologna Central Station (every 11 mins, €6 one-way). For more information see: http://aerobus.bo.it/en. Train to Florence (34mins), change to regional train to Lucca (1h20). Fares from €24. For more information see: www.lefrecce.it/.
Rome Leonardo da Vinci Airport 349km: You have to get to Roma Termini Central Station to take an intercity trains either going to Pisa Central or Firenze Santa Maria Novella. There are many options to get from Leonardo da Vinci airport to Roma Termini. See www.rome-airport:
- The Leonardo Express train costs €11 and takes 30 minutes.
- Terravision Shuttle Bus. Ticket is €9 for 70 minutes of travel.
- City bus: The bus stop is located outdoors at ground level, 100 meters left from arrivals (teminals B&C). You can buy tickets at all tobacco shops – they have blue signs (Tabacheria). Fares is 4 Euros; 45-80 minutes travel time.
- Taxis outside the passenger stations. The trip cost usually €40 to get to the city centre plus €1 fee for each suitcase.
From Roma Termini you can decide to go to Pisa or Florence.
- Pisa: Take a Frecciabianca OR, an Intercity train from Roma Termini to Pisa Centrale. The Frecciabianca is a faster, more modern and nicer train, so give it priority over the Intercity unless the latter’s schedules are more convenient. The fastest Frecciabianca train takes 2 hours and 30 minutes travel time for €44.50
- Via Florence: Travelling via Firenze SMN will cost €43, and will take about the same amount of time (since the Freccia train from Rome to Florence is one hour faster than the Freccia train from Rome to Pisa). For timetables and itineraries see www.trenitalia.com