The Camino in Numbers. The Pilgrims Office in Santiago keeps a record of each pilgrim that receives the ‘Compostela’ certificate after completing the Camino and these figures give us a fantastic picture of the Camino in numbers. These interesting statistics answer many frequently asked questions by prospective pilgrims such as: What are the top Camino routes? Where do Camino pilgrims come from? Where do they start their journey?
According to the latest statistics from the Pilgrims Office, 327.378 pilgrims from nearly 200 different countries received their Compostela certificate in 2019. It is worth noting that these won’t take into account pilgrims who didn’t finish their trip in Santiago or who have walked sections in France, Portugal or Spain for instance.
TOP CAMINO IN NUMBERS BY ROUTES
The Camino Frances remains the Camino de Santiago most famous and pilgrims’ favourite route. 56.88% of all pilgrims took this trail (186199).
The classic Camino route from Portugal, the Camino Portugues, is the second favourite. This route was chosen by 67822 pilgrims (20.72% of the total).
CAMINO DEL NORTE
Camino del Norte is third in the list of pilgrims favourite routes. 19040 (5.82%) chose this route last year.
This is the first and oldest Camino route. 15038 (4.59%) walked the Camino Primitivo.
The Camino Ingles attracted 14150 (4.32%) pilgrims.
PORTUGUESE COASTAL CAMINO
13841 (4.23%) took to the scenic Portuguese Coastal Camino route from Vigo, Baiona and beyond.
VIA DE LA PLATA
9127 (2.79%) people chose the Via de la Plata.
CAMINO DE INVIERNO
Those looking for an off the beaten track Camino trail will love the Camino de Invierno, recently added to the official list of Camino routes. Only 703 (0.21%) people completed this route.
10 FAVOURITE CAMINO STARTING POINTS
- SARRIA: The market town of Sarria on the Camino Frances, always comes as the top starting point. 88509 (27.04%)
- PORTO: Combining the number of pilgrims starting the Classic Portuguese and Coastal routes from Porto, the city has become the second favourite spot for pilgrims to start their Camino journey. 32987 (10.08%) started the Camino from Porto.
- ST JEAN PIED DE PORT on the Camino Frances comes third with 32899 (10.05%).
- TUI on the Camino Portugues saw 21308 pilgrims start their journey in this lovely town (6.51%).
- FERROL on the Camino Ingles attracted 13335 (4.07%) pilgrims.
- LEON on the Camino Frances: 10915 (3.33%).
- O CEBREIRO on the Camino Frances: 9189 (2.81%).
- OVIEDO on the Camino Primitivo: 8799 (2.69%).
- VALENCA DO MINHO on the Camino Portugues: 8726 (2,67%).
- PONFERRADA on the Camino Frances and Camino de Invierno: 7209 (2.20%).
TOP 10 PILGRIM NATIONALITIES
- United States
Of those, 93.49% walked the Camino and 6.35% cycled the Camino. 54.81% of all pilgrims were aged between 30 and 60. 26,83% were under 30 and 18.35% were over 60.
For more information about the Camino de Santiago routes or to book your next trip, contact our travel specialists.